I believe that it is also time for a checkity-in-yo from me.
Spring has arrived in the Twin Cities with full force, and I couldn't be happier. Things have been super busy for me between program obligations, work, and the holiday.
Highlights:
I got to witness the Holy Rosary secretary, Olga, and her husband Fernando take the oath of citizenship on a bitterly cold day in early March at the federal courthouse downtown. There were over 60 people from 30 different countries taking the oath. Pretty cool if you ask me. It was quite a short, yet interesting ceremony. The judge gave a little speech about how America was built on the backs of immigrants like themselves, etc., etc. Part of it also included playing the song God Bless the USA with a slideshow of pictures. Olga and her family were so cute and quite proud. It gave me a lot to think about.
My friend Courtney from high school came to visit over her spring break. I took her to all of the major Minneapolis sights. We celebrated St. Patrick's Day with a 9am party thrown by Sister Brigid McDonald which included Irish coffee (more whiskey than coffee) and lots of soda bread. The room was absolutely packed with people wearing way too much green, mostly nuns and other people from the peace movement. It was quite a fun time. Two days later was the Feast of St. Joseph. Since I work for the Sisters of St. Joseph, it was a pretty big deal. We spent the day learning about the sisters and their work, and ended it at their Mass where I got suckered into playing my violin with this nun who was SUPER INTENSE. She must be a good teacher through because her intensity made me play better.
Plans for graduate school are rolling along. I went to an accepted student visit day in mid-March, which was interesting. Not quite totally useful, since it was mostly them trying to sell the school to people who hadn't made up their minds yet. Since my mind is made up, I was looking for more details than I actually got. But hey, the food was good. I'm going to be living with one of the girls in my program, Eunice, hopefully in the Loring Park neighborhood. We're getting together next weekend to seriously begin our apartment search, so wish us luck!
I got to go home for four days for Easter, which was really nice. Thursday and Friday were mostly spent hanging out with the fam and being outside, since the weather was nice. Saturday I was able to see some of my friends who were in town. We went back to our old coffee house hang out, The Grind, which had switched ownership since Christmas. Wow was it way different. It used to be gaudy and cheesily decorated, perfect for a Fort Wayne coffee shop. Now it's completely redone, trying to look fancy, and the inside is really dark. I'm not sure that I like it. I guess I can't complain too much since originally it was going to close for good until this regular customer decided to buy it and keep it open. I spent Easter at my aunt's house, so I got to see a few of my little cousins who aren't so little anymore. Plus we watched Marley & Me. Good movie, that one.
Work is pretty much same old, same old. In May I'll be spending a lot of time as the church secretary, because Olga is going to Peru for a month (she and her husband are selling their house there). The after-school program is going well. Lately we've been going to the park across the street for our break time. The kids really enjoy that, considering every day since then they've been asking if we can go!
Oh, and this past Saturday, Sean and I went to see the Minnesota Orchestra in concert with Jim Brickman. It was probably the best $10 I ever spent! I'm an old lady in that I like his piano music; they are good songs to study to, plus he's got some good cheesy love songs. Sometimes I get in the mood to listen to cheesy love songs. Anyway, we got student tickets, and our seats weren't assigned until the day of the concert. We picked them up for the will call, and turns out they were smack dab in the center, 3rd row from the stage. Pretty awesome. Plus there was this guy who played his electric violin for several songs, which was awesome. I love the electric violin...I almost bought one in high school. So it was a good night.
Stales, I'm excited that you get to go to Spain!!!! Speaking of Spain, tomorrow I will attempt to make a paella-like dinner for my house. Hopefully it will turn out well. As for what you should see while you're in EspaƱa, here's my advice:
San Sebastian: The beach!!!! Pretty pretty awesome beach. And definitely go bar-hopping for Pintxos (Basque tapas) in the old part of town one night. Another must-do is go to the top of Monte Igueldo because the view is unbelievable. Like this:
San Sebastian: The beach!!!! Pretty pretty awesome beach. And definitely go bar-hopping for Pintxos (Basque tapas) in the old part of town one night. Another must-do is go to the top of Monte Igueldo because the view is unbelievable. Like this:
Barcelona: Definitely hit up the Sagrada Familia church by Gaudi. And Parque Guell, also designed by Gaudi. Other than that I mostly spent time wandering around this city, especially the Gothic Quarter. You never know what you'll run into. It's definitely a city that lives by the Carpe Diem philosophy. If you've got time you could also take the commuter train to Manresa to experience small town Spain...just make sure that you get there outside of siesta time (2pm-5pm).
Madrid: I really enjoyed the tour of the Royal Palace. Also hit up the Parque del Buen Retiro, and of course the Prado, if you haven't already been. Other than that it's an awesome city to explore without an agenda.
Hopefully these little tidbits have gotten you excited about your trip. :) Let me know if you need any more info!
Okay, tis all for now! Miss you all and love you lots!
Paz,
Alicia
P.S. Mikey, are you still alive???
No comments:
Post a Comment